Black Swan Folk Club
- THE POOZIES. Don't forget the first of our concert specials THIS WEDNESDAY (10th September) at the Early Music Centre. This great all-woman band should be very well worth hearing. Ticket sales have picked up in the last week, but there are still plenty left. There will be unreserved tickets available on the door, but if you want the assurance of having tickets set aside for you, ring the Box Office on 01904 658338 or e-mail them on email@example.com.
- JAMES KEELAGHAN LATE NEWS. The marvellous Canadian singer-songwriter JAMES KEELAGHAN pays his fourth visit to the Black Swan on 18th September, and we have just had word that he will be joined on this tour by bass and mandola player HUGH McMILLAN, from Canadian roots band Spirit Of The West. Those of you who saw James last time around at the Swan, early in 2002, when he was joined by fiddle player Oliver Schroer, will know how very well he works with a sparring partner on stage. James is such an inspiring songwriter and commanding performer that he really is NOT TO BE MISSED. Tickets on the door only (no advance booking) with the usual 8 o'clock doors open time.
- THE FOLK FESTIVAL SEASON DRAWS TO A CLOSE. Yorkshire saves one of its best festivals until the end of the season. Yes, it's time once again for OTLEY FOLK FESTIVAL. The Twelfth event is held over the weekend of September 19 th -21 st , with headliners including Christine Collister, Steve Tilston, Old Rope String Band and Tanglefoot (what a great night they gave us at the Swan last week!), plus a very strong supporting cast. Recent Otleys have Sold Out, so book before-hand if you want to go to formal events (firstname.lastname@example.org , 01943 464858). Without a ticket there's still plenty to make a visit worthwhile: pub sessions, singarounds, Morris dancing and pay-at-the door concerts. See you there!
This year Otley is not the very last local festival. Two weeks later, October 3rd-5th , is INGLETON FOLK WEEKEND, with evening concerts by THE HUSH (Friday) and ELIZA CARTHY (Saturday) plus free daytime events Saturday and Sunday. Details on www.ingletonfolk.co.uk or ring the Community Centre on 015242 41701.
- JOSEPH PORTER & FRIENDS AT THE BLACK SWAN. While I'm pushing other people's events, here's news of a Sunday afternoon gig ( 2pm-5.30pm ) at the Black Swan Inn on 28 th September. It’s being organised by JOSEPH PORTER, singer and songwriter with roots rockers Blyth Power, and features himself (solo), London performance poet THE SPEECHPAINTER and Anglo-French singer/songwriter PHILIP JEAYS, plus a local York singer RYAN SHIRLOW. More information from Downwarde Spiral Promotions on 01423 552342. Incidentally, the full line-up of Blyth Power will be blasting away at Otley the weekend before.
- CITY OF YORK FOLK DAY 2004. A reminder that there will be an Open Meeting on Monday 15th September at 8pm the Black Swan Inn to discuss options for a City of York Folk Day for 2004.
- WEB SITE NEWS. Apologies from web-master Stan Graham. Recent virus problems have made it very difficult to update and restore the full club website. Stan is on the job and will have things back in proper shape as soon as possible.