Black Swan Folk Club
Late October 2002
- KRISTINA OLSEN this coming Thursday (24 th) is about a third sold in advance, at this stage, so there are sure to be tickets available on the door. If you are travelling some way to see her (and she's surely well worth the effort − a phenomenal performer), I will accept reservations by e-mail (up to 3pm Thursday) or phone, and will hold them on the night until at least 8.15.
- FUTURE TICKET EVENTS this season are John Wright & Maartin Allcock (December 12, on sale from October 24) and COOPE BOYES & SIMPSON (January 9, on sale from November 7). Both are priced at £7/£6. If you want to book for either of these by post, send a cheque payable to BLACK SWAN FOLK CLUB and an SAE to Roland Walls, 50 St Olave's Road, York, YO30 7AL, and I will post back by return.
- BILL JONES will definitely be joined by Sarah Wright on vocals, flute and percussion for her November 21 gig. This has the makings of another very busy night. While it is advertised as a pay-on-the-door event, I am happy to accept reservations. The same goes for Clive Gregson (October 31) and Withy Creek (November 14).
- EARLY MUSIC CENTRE concert bookings are falling into place for next year. Definite events are MAIRE NI CHATHASAIGH & CHRIS NEWMAN (Tuesday 25 February) and WATERSON:CARTHY (Wednesday 23 April), while the Early Music Centre itself is putting on BLAZING FIDDLES on Friday 16 May. If Arts Council funding is agreed, DICK GAUGHAN and ALLAN TAYLOR will be touring together early next year under the banner Both Sides The Tweed , with a York date on Tuesday 11 February. Bookings are also being discussed with Show Of Hands, Last Night's Fun and other acts. We haven't yet decided when Box Office will open for any of these events − more news in the next E-Newsletter.
- THE 2003 THURSDAY CLUB DIARY is now full until mid May. Highlights include return visits by Isla St Clair (February 20), Andy Irvine (April 17) and Emily Slade (May 8), plus Black Swan debuts for the third Sands brother, Ben (March 6) and much talked-about youngsters John Spiers and Jon Boden (May 1). The summer season is now taking shape, with − as usual - plenty of top quality overseas artists, including Pint & Dale and Dana Robinson from USA, Martin Curtis from New Zealand and Tanglefoot and James Keelaghan from Canada. I'll include a full list of confirmed dates in the next E-newsletter.
- THE E-MAILING LIST is growing steadily, but if you are reading a printed copy of this newsletter and want to receive it electronically in future, just let me know.